Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Introducing Maybe I should know this . . . but I don’t or Things in my wondering mind.

I haven’t decided which one I will call it but I go through my days and these random things that I don’t know anything about will seep into my mind. I was told by a wonderful journalist to jot those wonderings down and do my own research and write about it. So hence the following on the differences between milk. I know random but hey I wondered.

There used to be a battle that occurred weekly upon my mother’s arrival home from the grocery store. “Why did you buy skim milk, it tastes like water,” my dad would gripe. We had been a 2% family my entire life, it’s what the pediatrician told my mother during my childhood that we should drink 2%. Many years later my mom would try to change it up, us trying to be health conscientious and watch calorie intake skim became the desired calcium beverage of choice. My mom finally waved the white flag and buys a half gallon of skim and a half gallon of 2%. So it got me to thinking where does this percent stuff come from. And the answer is . . . percentages refer to the amount of fat left in the milk. Ta dah! That’s it nothing fancy nothing complicated.

Whole milk is about 3 ½ percent fat.

Skim, Fat-Free, or Nonfat Milk by U.S. Law must contain less than ½ percent fat.

Low-Fat Milk- two types; 2 percent and 1 percent milk which once again only refers to the percentages of fat left in the milk.

Which all brings me to Soy Milk. What the heck is it exactly? How is made? Is it good for you? Next time.

No comments: