Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Attitude Goes a long way

This has been the most trying 3 weeks ever!

In my adventures as a trainer at my job I have encountered a different personality than I have ever encountered. Now mind you I have trained a few different types of people, one who has pretty much become my best friend and whom I believe I was related to in a past life. One who was deemed over confident right off the bat, but really was just that quick. Another was quiet and very estudious, another whom had never done this before but managed to learn this job anyways, another was just pure angel and I loved her. But now I have been thrown one I can't quite make out. Initially it started . . . I knew she was not cut for this job and I should've gone with that gut instinct first. But she was doing the job well, getting the applications, answering all my quiz questions correctly, and generally understanding the job. However apparently how our policies, procedures, and how we handle certain things is just "bananas" (her words not mine). Ok I don't make the rules I just ENFORCE them!!!! What am I supposed to say, "Yea I know it doesn't make sense, yea I know it's inconsistent, just do it!" Well that's what I want to say and in a round about way I do. Her attitude amazes me. When you are in training, in my opinion you don't piss off your trainer anymore than you would your boss. You're in the first days at a new job aren't you supposed to still be in the "impressing us" stage? I have trained people who weren't perfect in the applications, they didn't get the answers right all the time but they had a good attitude and they eventually got. Perhaps they weren't stellar but they got it and their positive attitude carried them to fly on their own. It just goes to show that regardless of how good you are your job, regardless of how perfect your perform, if you don't have a good attitude and you don't appreciate your job and those around you . . . you won't make it in this job or in this life. And remember one bad apple ruins the whole bunch.

2 comments:

Smee said...

Maaaaaaaan... I hope she turns it around, and quick. It really isn't too hard a job, just a lot to remember. And a bad attitude isn't going to change the policies. Going along and presenting a better way, however, will.

I'm sorry it's been a bad experience. Hopefully it's over soon, one way or another.

Lady K said...

That was a mess, but you handled the situation with true class! Hopefully she grows and gets over it....we can only pray for the best.

P.S. I decided to stay positive and upbeat instead of going all sister girl, but trust I do have it on reserve if need be...LOL!